Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Just waiting...

So it's almost go time.  The baby's room is ready, the apartment is spotless and our bags are packed.  I am completely ready to launch this kid, but trying to be patient and let nature take its course.  I went to the doctor on Tuesday, and she said that I could go into labor at anytime.  Which sounds nice, but it is less than helpful.   I'm working all week to pass the time and stay distracted.  After talking to the doctor and feeling more than a little frustrated, I spoke with Stacey, who sent me this video clip from Friends.  I relate to Rachel in a whole new way now... and I'm not even late yet:

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BeisdMICVA (it wouldn't let me embed the video, so you just have to go to the link)


I have been a little fussy (or "ill" as they say in South Georgia) lately, and have been finding myself much more sensitive to people's comments.  In the interest of venting and providing some insight into the slightly deranged mind of a very pregnant person, here is a list of the least helpful things that people say to me on a daily (literally, daily) basis:
  • Hey, you're still pregnant.  (am I? I didn't realize that, thank you for pointing it out)
  • You look like you're about to pop! (thanks random construction worker and strangers on the street)
  • You finally look pregnant. (Compliment or passive aggressive way to comment on my puffiness?)
  • Well, get your rest now... (oh, you're right.  You know what you should try? Sleeping comfortably with a 7lb bowling ball strapped to your belly)
  • What are you having? (strangers ask me this ALL the time, anywhere and everywhere I am.  Often I just ignore and pretend I didn't hear them.  Occasionally, if I'm in a good mood, I'll tell them I'm having a boy, otherwise I'll answer with "a baby.")
  • When are you going to finally have that baby? (this one is absolutely my least favorite.  It assumes that I have any control over when I have the baby and that I'm just staying uncomfortable for fun. And, at this point, it makes me want to cry, because I would love nothing more than to have control over this).
Now, I know that these are harmless comments.  People say them all the time and I'm sure I have said them to a pregnant friend at some point.  But, I realize now, that by the end of this pregnancy, I am not thinking logically.  And things that would have rolled off my back a few weeks ago are now taken personally and totally out of context.  The moral of this story is: beware of very pregnant women.  We are an unpredictable and sensitive sort.     

But, while I'm slightly out of my mind, Matt is totally cool with everything.  He is remarkably patient with my rantings and sweating and puffiness.  He takes care of Wilbur so I don't have to go up and down the stairs when I don't want to, he gets me Sonic milkshakes when I want them... He isn't anxious but he's appropriately concerned.  He's a good dude.

So, with the due date looming, we're just waiting and watching... 

3 comments:

  1. hang in there, sweetheart!! The baby will be here soon and your center of gravity will return to normal!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I especially love that you told people you are having a baby. Genius!

    ReplyDelete